Monday

Unusual Nativity Sets You May Want to Add to Your Collection


My interest in nativity sets began a few years ago, when I received a tiny figurine of a lamb as a Christmas gift from my youngest daughter.

It was one of the best gifts I had ever received.

The reason that I loved this little lamb so much is that as soon as I opened it, I recognized it as one of the lambs from an Avon nativity set, and, included with the gift was a note that read,  "MORE TO COME."

I had admired Avon nativity sets for years, but had put off buying one, because I really didn't think I could afford it.  It had never crossed my mind that I could afford a set of my own.

And MORE did come.  A new figurine was added every year until my set was complete.  I think she must have purchased the whole set and then parceled it out year after year to avoid having to figure out what to get "Mom" for Christmas each year.  I did already have a rather battered looking nativity set, but this one was really special and still is.

My interest in "unusual" nativity sets started more recently, when another daughter, knowing my love for chocolate, gifted me with a nativity set with figurines all made of chocolate.  Chocolate lambs, chocolate, cows, chocolate Joseph and Mary, and even a chocolate baby Jesus.  I confess that there have been times since that Christmas when, faced with a chocolate-less house, I have been tempted, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the baby Jesus.  Even if I saved him till last, I would still feel guilty about chewing off the chocolate wings of a graceful looking angel.  (Kind of like eating the ears off the Easter bunny, but worse.)  Here a link where you can buy a mold and make your own chocolate nativity set, but I haven't been able to find any ready-made ones. Nativity Chocolate Candy Mold Set

Another year, I received a Russian folk doll nativity set.  That one has drawn a lot of comment since the figures are very small and very roly-poly looking.  They do remind me that Christianity doesnt just exist in my own little nook of the world, but everywhere in the magnificent world that God has created.

Nativity sets come in every imaginable size.  There are sets so tiny you can hardly see  them, and there are sets that are life-size.  Although I haven't collected any life-sized figurines, I can see where people who have a nice big lawn to display them on would find them really desirable


Precious Moments Figurines

.
Most of you are familiar with the delicate, chubby cheeked, little figurines put out by Precious Moments, but may not have thought of finding a child's nativity set among them.  Children who have their own nativity sets often ask questions that will give you countless opportunities to teach them the basic tenets of Christianity.  Besides that, the Precious Moments sets are really adorable, and might end up as something your child would treasure, and  pass on to his or her children many years from now. (Click on  the picture to find out more about this particular set.)


Here are just a few of  the more unusual nativity sets I have come across recenty.

1.  This nativity set includes a teepee, Mary and Joseph with the baby Jesus, a drummer boy, burro, and an angel.  It is made of hand-painted resin, and the teepee measures 5 1/4 by 7 1/4 inches. Click the picture to find out more.  CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.




2.  This attractive outdoor nativity scene  is a cut-out figure made of 1/2 inch marine grade plastic that won't rot or deteriorate.  A little spendy, but it will last for many years. Your neighbors will love it and so will you. Click the picture for more information.




3.  Tiny 8 inch tall fabric nativity scene to display on an end table or small shelf for your Christmas guests to admire.Click on picture to learn more.




Nativity Banner or Flag

 Everyone needs a garden flag to remind your neighbors of the real reason for the season. This one can be displayed in your front yard, on a flagpole attached to your garage or front porch, or just as a banner in your living room window. Roll it up when the season ends and save it to be used again year after year.

No comments:

Post a Comment